Integer division by zero

discussion of forwardcom instruction set and corresponding hardware and software

Moderator: agner

agner
Site Admin

Integer division by zero

Post by agner »

I have almost finished making the division hardware for the ForwardCom softcore (using a radix-4 division loop). Now I have to decide what to do with integer division by zero. I have tried to google what other microprocessors do with integer division by zero. X86 makes an error trap. ARM and PowerPC give 0 when dividing by zero. Atmel gives -1. Since there appears to be no sensible standard, it is necessary to make a decision.

It is part of the design philosophy of ForwardCom to avoid "undefined" behavior. Ideally, every situation should have a predictable outcome. I will not use error traps because this is inefficient and bad for vector processing, so I decided that the most sensible solution is to return INT_MAX or INT_MIN, depending on the sign of the dividend. Unsigned division by zero will give UINT_MAX.

Now, I am not sure what to do with an integer modulo zero. I am considering three possible solutions:
  • a % 0 = 0
  • a % 0 = INT_MIN or some other extreme value to indicate an error
  • a % 0 = a
I am most in favor of the last solution because it allows the compiler to optimize

Code: Select all

q = a / b;   r = a % b;
to

Code: Select all

q  = a / b;  r = a - q * b;

The latter code is faster, and r can be calculated with a single mul_add instruction.

What do you think? Are there any strong reasons to choose another solution?
HubertLamontagne

Re: Integer division by zero

Post by HubertLamontagne »

Clearly it's best if a % b should be equal to a - (a/b)*b in all cases including error ones yes (/0, and -0x80000000/-1 in signed 32 bits), that way the CPU doesn't need a modulo instruction and can replace it with a - d*b in all cases yeah.

As for n/0 returning 0 or int min/max, there's something inside of me that feels like returning "0" is simpler, but what do I know...

One thing that always really bugged me is that division of negative numbers rounds upwards rather than downwards, which makes it impossible to optimize /8 as >>3 and requires conditionals if you want rounding to stay consistent, but I have to admit that these sign change shenanigans make sense in their own way and probably are what programmers expect and probably can't be changed.
agner
Site Admin

Post by agner »

Hubert, a % b = a will satisfy a % b == a - (a/b)*b in all cases. There is a modulo instruction, and it is easy to implement because the existing division hardware gives the remainder as well, whether you need it or not.

I have considered to make division by 0 give 0, but this would increase the risk that an error goes undetected. Giving an extreme result is more in line with floating point giving ∞.

Integer division on ForwardCom has option bits for different rounding modes: truncate, floor, ceiling, round to nearest or even. This works fine in my softcore (not published yet). Division by a power of 2 with rounding to floor will equal signed shift right. I have considered making a shift right instruction with rounding mode options, but this might be a little complicated. Another possibility would be to make a special case out of division by a power of 2 with shorter latency. However, this will be useful only if the compiler knows which implementation of signed division by a power of 2 is the fastest on a particular microprocessor model. The programmer can help by specifying unsigned numbers, but not all programming languages have unsigned integers.

I wonder why other microprocessors don't have integer division with optional rounding. At least I am not aware of any. It requires a lot of code to correctly round a rational number on traditional microprocessors without using floating point. This is easy on ForwardCom. Think of embedded systems without floating point processor.
Webenson Diolen

Post by Webenson Diolen »

Hello Mr Fog,

I understand that the concept of processor flags is outdated and making superscalarity much harder to implement. But just as an idea,
if your ISA concept had a single debug register to store the program counter of the failing calculation, wouldn't this mitigate the underlying
problem?

The application can decide to check for such a flag and an adress that is stored to the debug register, or ignore it. If you limit
the ability of this register on holding and returning a value of the program counter, without any direct access to the memory system,
it could be with little hardware cost than a regular register.

It is obvious that this brings up more questions, like how to manage and store such a register for every cpu thread, but I would find
this very convinient to us.

Because integers where historicly not intended to deliver a payload over implicit store values, one should not try to do it.
I would treat divsion with 0 like ARM and PowerPc and return 0.
agner
Site Admin

Post by agner »

Hi Webenson

What you propose is indeed the solution I have implemented. Performance counter number 16 will count various errors and show the code address where the first error occurred. This is a cheap solution to implement in hardware.

Division by 0 gives INT_MAX, INT_MIN, or UINT_MAX. Returning 0 would increase the risk that an error goes undetected. You should not rely on any specific behavior of integer division by 0 in C/C++ because it is officially undefined so there is no guarantee that it will behave the same on all types of processors.